Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Dash

I visited with Michelle at the Int. school last week and she shared The Dash with me. After the recent death of my Granny and celebrating 80 yrs. of life with my Grandma this weekend, I've been thinking a lot about my "dash". I'm going to share it with you and I hope it's as inspiring to you as it has been to me! Thanks Michelle!
The Dash
by Linda Ellis
I read of a man who stood to speak
at the funeral of a friend.
He referred to the dates on her tombstone
From the beginning to the end.
He noted that first came the date of her birth
and spoke of the following date with tears,
But he said what mattered most of all
Was the dash between those years.
For that dash represents all the time
That she spent alive on earth
And now only those who loved her
Know what that little line is worth.
For it matters not, how much we own,
The cars, the house, the cash,
What matters is how we live and love
And how we spend our dash.
So think about this long and hard,
Are there things you'd like to change?
For you never know how much time is left
That can still be rearranged.
If we could just slow down enough
To consider what's true and real
And always try to understand
The way other people feel.
And be less quick to anger
And show appreciation more
And love the people in our lives
Like we've never loved before.
If we treat each other with respect
And more often wear a smile,
Remembering that this special dash
Might only last a little while.
So when your eulogy is being read
With your life's actions to rehash
Would you be proud of the things they say
About how you spent your dash?
I just love this! It definitely got me to thinking! So girls...how about your "dash"?

4 comments:

Sada said...

I think this is great. Do what is right each moment and then you can be proud of the big picture. It's a great reminder not to worry, but to enjoy. People are what matter.

Sandel said...

absolutely love it!!!

Michele said...

I enjoyed talking with you at the Intermediate so much. You really helped me that day also. I believe God brought you there. He is so awesome!!!!

Lacy said...

Why can I not remember that when I am being so selfish? It seems to be distant from my mind when I need it the most!!! So true. Thanks Carrie. Kinda cheesy sounding...but you sure looked pretty in Walmart and happy. Hope all is getting better. You are a terrific gal.