Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Snickerdoodles means Summertime!

I have been busy making snickerdoodles for Peyton's "end of the year" school party! I'm in charge of the cookie walk! I decided on my all time favorite... Snickerdoodles!
Snickdoodles
1 cup Crisco shortening
1 1/2 cups plus 2 T. sugar
2 eggs
2 3/4 sifted all-purpose flour
2 t. cream of tartar
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
2 t. ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, and eggs. Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Combine with egg mixture. Chill dough thoroughly and then roll into balls the size of a small walnut. ( I use a small melon scooper!) Roll in mixture of
2 T. sugar and the cinnamon. Bake for 8-10 minutes on a ungreased baking sheet until lightly browned but still soft. ( Don't overbake. If you do, place cookies in a ziplock bag with a piece of bread and they turn soft again! It's magic! I learned that from my mother-n-law...Dorothy)
Yum! Yum!
Why do they call them Snickerdoodles?
I have very fond memories of snickerdoodles from my childhood! Thanks Mom and Mrs. Burnett!
You would definitely be snickering if you could see how many of these I've eaten! Not counting points today! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

4 comments:

Erica said...

Yummmy!!

ko said...

I thought your all time fav was a molassas cookie? AM I DREAMING THAT? I am glad you put the recipe on here....I will copY! CUTE CUTE!
We are having our end of year party in Bryan at Put put..Rebecca is so excited! I am so happy we are done this week! SUMMERTIME! FINALLY

Melanie said...

Hi Carrie, I'm not sure if you remember me (Scott's sister). I found your blog through Lisa's. Snickerdoodles are my ALL TIME favorite cookie too. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I'm SO making some today. --Melanie (McMurtrey) Ralston

spanki said...

i just heard your cries from painting... all the way in montgomery!! i know, i have a love hate relationship w/ paint. it NEVER goes the way you plan! tell you what... i'll give paint tips for baking tips!! it is funny how God gives everyone a niche. mine may be paint, baking... not so much!!!